Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dogs!! Letter dated May 7 & 14, 2012


May 7, 2012 (letter)

Family,

So, a lot’s been going on here since I last wrote you all.  Wow, it’s been an amazing few weeks.  Well, you all already know that I was called as a Trainer this past week.  I couldn’t even believe it when I was called.  It was on Sunday the 29th of April, and we had had the baptism of Zenerda that day so we were pretty happy.  Elder Lopes and I had finished planning and I was changing my clothes when we got a call from the Zone leaders.  Elder Lopes said it was for me, and gave me the phone.  The Zone Leader then told me I had to go to a training conference the next day, so that I could be trained as a Trainer.  WOW!!  I was so surprised.  Here I am, a Missionary of 7 months.  I still have a ton to learn.  I was a bit overwhelmed, and worried at the prospect of training a new missionary.  I didn’t sleep much that night. 

The next day we had the training conference which helped, and also I had an interview with President Cordon.  He said a bit about the responsibilities of a Trainer, and then said that the Lord had chosen me for this calling.  “It was pretty clear to me that the Lord wanted you to train,”  President Cordon told me.  That helped too. 

After that on Tuesday I already had to go get the new missionary.  So I went and met my trainee  --  Elder Little.  Elder Little is an Athletic American from Southern Utah. He is ready to work which is most important.  Even though he doesn’t speak the language well, we’ve been working pretty well together.  He’s got a good practical sensibility.  Like he’s way more practical than me.  I’m just kind of a nerdy punk from Cali, and he’s a farmer from Utah that was on the football and basketball team.  So, when he gets the language down, he’ll be a monster of a missionary. 



May 14, 2012

Alright, so I didn’t get the chance to finish my letter last week, so now I’ll finish it up.  Yesterday was Mother’s Day!  Wow, it was so good to see you all.  It felt like a long time since I’ve seen you already.  I hardly even remember what we talked about, it was just so quick.  It appears that you’re doing well, and that the Lord is blessing our family.  I can’t believe how big all of the babies are already.  They’re going to be adults when I get back. 

So how was Mother’s day?  Did everyone call you?  What did they do at church at Mother’s day?  It’s weird to think that I only have two more calls home now – this Christmas and in a year.  The time is just going to fly by.

Elder Little liked the Mother’s day call too.  I think he was worried about whether it would work out with the Skype.  That was good that you helped out his family beforehand.  He really enjoyed it, and I got to talk to his MOM for a bit and reassure her that he is in good hands (I know I shouldn’t lie)

Also, as you noticed, I was at the same place that I was at Christmas.  The family that let us use skype is a really good family, always helping out with the ward.  They’re son, Lehi (That’s not how you spell his name, but it’s basically Lehi) got back form his mission in Recife, Brazil like a year ago.  He’s a really good helper to us. 

So, I definitely forgot to ask you guys a million things and I’m sure that you guys didn’t get to ask everything you wanted.  Mom, how’s your calling?  How is our neighbor doing? How do you guys like being involved so much in the Ward?  Dad, what are some challenges that you’re having with your calling?  How do you like it?  How is Autumn doing with school?  How were the AP testing?  I forget was it just AP History that you took?  So Avatar: The Legend of Korrah isn’t that good.  Too bad L

Here in the mission field Elder Little and I are just working hard to find the Lord’s elect.  We don’t have any baptismal candidates super promising right now, but our recent converts are doing really well.  The only big let down is the Peterson family, they’re pretty much inactive, and they don’t go to church even though we pass by all the time.  The rest, however, are doing really great.  I’m really happy with these people. 



Alright, time for the weird thing here in Brazil…..



1 comment: